12 replies to this topic

#1 KERIPRINTS

KERIPRINTS

Immigrant U.S. citizen/HOF

• Administrators
  • 6,268 posts
  • Time Online: 12d 1h 39m 20s

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

First of all, congratulations to all the winners in each division, I think we were all concerned about the weather but Mother Nature helped out in a huge way.

I went to this tournament as a guest of Jorge Calzadilla and Carlos Garcia who are the sponsors of One Payment, and I want to publicly thank them for their hospitality, great sponsors right there folks.

As always, it is such an honor to see softball legends like Rick Wiley and Russ Robinson as they are still in this racket we all call softball. Saw a bunch of people who I handn't seen in a while, I will not name them because I will probably leave some out and don't want to disrespect them.

C teams complained about playing in the short field but without talking with Ralphie, I would venture to say that it was more of a logistic issue. C only had 10 teams while the other divisions had at least 3 times that with those fields being all close to each other rather than the 2 that were in the back where C played.

There are two things that happened this past weekend that makes me know that the time to slowly walk away from this game is just around the corner ( or maybe just concentrate on 40+ ). First of all, the bat issue has been around for a long while but for some reason it finally dawned on me that the vast majority of softball players are really not that good, sure they have this athletic ability that players didn't have 20 years ago but like my dear friend Luther would say....." i's bet ya a nibble of my lil sis' left tittie that most of you couldn't hit a lick 20 years ago ", and it's simple, no ability to hit them where they aint unless you are swinging glass, most couldn't swing a 32oz aluminum bat for a home run if your life depended on it, but with that weapon that you paid somebody to have it altered, you are now Big Time. Yeah, I know, in today's game ' if you aint cheating, you aint winning '.

The second thing is an occurrence that happened while the rain delay was going on. I always try to keep my ballplayers focused and not jibber jabbing with the opposing team so Ozzie from Russell's was talking with Papo and a couple of ' my guys ' by our dugout and I said to him in a jokingly manner to stop talking to ' my guys ', which he quickly replied, " I thought this was Papo's team? ", well, lesson learned for sticking my nose where it don't belong. That's when it hit me, what the f**k am I doing here other than look like I am undermining the coach of this team. By the way, this is neither a knock on Ozzie or me being disrespectful to Papo, just the plain truth.

Hope everybody is safe back at home.

• zipp, Freedom Sports, SSVIR and 1 other like this

" You gotta do what you gotta do "

Independent Sports Association National Hall Of Fame

Freedom Sports Association National Hall Of Fame

United States Specialty Sports Association Florida Hall Of Fame

http://brooklynlorenzo.com

#2 Sammy

Sammy

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 179 posts
  • Time Online: 6h 31m 14s

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

It was great seeing you this weekend.

• KERIPRINTS likes this
2014 HALL OF FAME - #00

#3 bert

bert

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Time Online: 3h 26m 52s

Posted 08 August 2016 - 01:19 PM

I have no idea what I'm doing out there with these guys either. 

• KERIPRINTS likes this

#4 Sims44

Sims44

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Time Online: 7d 18h 44m 52s

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:45 AM

It doesnt matter whose team it might be but the bottom line is you are a coach and that in tells them being your guys. Same goes for Russell's if the shoe was on the other foot and lets say X says what you did I am sure someone would say this is Russ's team but in the end it doesnt matter. You didnt like the umpires? They didnt do a good job...lol? Just kidding.

Teams and coaches from the C teams on Sunday should thank Ralph for listening to yalls concern about not getting to play on the turf fields. I know it was a long walk and we had field issues when we got there but at least there is one head cheese that is willing to listen to teams concern and work with them. Also having 2 umpires all day for C was a plus.

Bert you belong out there so stop with that bull shit
  • KERIPRINTS and bert like this
Shawn Allen
ISPS UIC & Florida Women's Director
(863)873-4552 cell
Gptexan4@gmail.com
2013 Floridasoftball.com Hall of Fame

#5 ASAX

ASAX

ASA-USA/HOF

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • Time Online: 22h 51m

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Jesus,

I personally spoke to Ozzie about what he said. Not in any way, shape, or form did he mean to be disrespectful towards you. It was a comment to try to get under Papo's skin not yours. You've had the luxury to coach a lot of fine players in your time, Ozzie being one of them. He's definitely one of the few that respects the game of softball and its history. I'm not trying to cover up for him, but I know he's not the type to write on the board. At the end of the day we're all your guys, and dont you ever forget that.
  • KERIPRINTS and bert like this
Xavier Medina<br /><br />
ASA State Director<br /><br />
(786)231-9990<br /><br />
[email=""]Xavier@playasa.org[/email]<br /><br />
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 KERIPRINTS

KERIPRINTS

Immigrant U.S. citizen/HOF

• Administrators
  • 6,268 posts
  • Time Online: 12d 1h 39m 20s

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

Got it X. I totally enjoyed the weekend, it's just that I have never been in that role before and makes it a little bit weird, I probably over reacted over nothing.

" You gotta do what you gotta do "

Independent Sports Association National Hall Of Fame

Freedom Sports Association National Hall Of Fame

United States Specialty Sports Association Florida Hall Of Fame

http://brooklynlorenzo.com

#7 deadhead69

deadhead69

Rookie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Time Online: 3d 5h 42m 40s

Posted 09 August 2016 - 04:27 PM

The only concern I have is why aren't 2 umpires used for games? With all the money the pull in and being state finals tournament it would be better to have 2 umpires. there was a lot of missed calls plus confusion on every field regarding the runner rule an what balls can or can not be used. My two cents. Anyones thoughts?

#8 MAFIATACO33

MAFIATACO33

8======D/HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 2,302 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 23h 2m 12s

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

I know this seems elementary but when I ran Taco Cup I made laminated sheets and zip tied to the back stop. They had the count, which balls we were using, runners rule, HR's per division, and instructions if ball hits the pitching net on every field.

Again it was simple but effective.

#9 MikeSimon78

MikeSimon78

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Time Online: 21h 21m 15s

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

The only concern I have is why aren't 2 umpires used for games? With all the money the pull in and being state finals tournament it would be better to have 2 umpires. there was a lot of missed calls plus confusion on every field regarding the runner rule an what balls can or can not be used. My two cents. Anyones thoughts?

USSSA only cares about the Conference.  The other divisions are there just to derive revenue for the Conference Events.  USSSA CEOs son does not play E, D, or C.  Just saying.

#10 conch town4

conch town4

Minor League

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Time Online: 15d 2h 53m 57s

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:09 AM

Results ???????? All divisions
La Familia #4....B.Lowe

#11 USSSA Ralph

USSSA Ralph

HOF

• Paid Directors
  • 4,962 posts
  • Time Online: 232d 16h 46m 31s

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Bobby, all brackets have been updated
Click on the links and you can see the results

RCalderon-zpsgvku4avg.jpg

#12 conch town4

conch town4

Minor League

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • Time Online: 15d 2h 53m 57s

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

Ok thank you Sir
La Familia #4....B.Lowe

#13 Sims44

Sims44

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 776 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Time Online: 7d 18h 44m 52s

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Deadhead I dont know what division you played but we had 2 in the C division and there were 2 in the womens division. Now 2 umps for every division would be about 40 total umpires. 1st off there isnt 40 Utrip tournament umpires in Florida and Freedom dont either. Taking someone off the couch putting a shirt on them to ump doesnt mean they are an umpire especially when the experience guys are being moved to Winner bracket games during the tournament so the rookie guys are not on the field for those games. Just saying you D and E guys got turf all day and C didnt. The D and E got the bigger fields C played on fields 275 down the lines 315 to CF. Guess what MikeSimon at least the Conference guys are playing for a chance at a World ring and not prize package like the D and E teams do
Shawn Allen
ISPS UIC & Florida Women's Director
(863)873-4552 cell
Gptexan4@gmail.com
2013 Floridasoftball.com Hall of Fame

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users