13 replies to this topic

#1 SSVIR

SSVIR

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 758 posts
  • Time Online: 19d 12m 6s

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:15 PM

Why are the participation numbers so far down?

It wasn't that many years ago ....

that I used to have to wait in line an hour before sign-up started just to get my team signed up for a league night .... now we are lucky to get 5 teams and they call and beg me to sign up.

Tournaments (NSA and ISA) had 15+ teams signed up in D and 6-8 in C .... now there hasn't been a local D tournament with even 10 teams in a few years and I can't recall a legitimate C tournament happening in 5+ years.

Seems like the combination of less overall players, everyone being allowed to play E, and cut throat tournament directors has officially killed off tournament softball. 

• KERIPRINTS likes this

#2 conch town4

conch town4

Minor League

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Time Online: 14d 4h 49m 25s

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

I think a big part of it is you can’t build a team anymore ...the rules that are set in place for being bumped and not bumped really suck ...if you build a team to win worlds which is the #1 goal it could take 2 to 3 years but a long the way if you win a state or a nit or winter worlds which means nothing but money for that association you are automatically bump and all that hard word on building that team goes down the drain cause you are either force to break up or pick up new players to compete at the next level ....just because a team does the right thing and has the same roster same players every toureny get penalized for loyalty and trying to reach a goal .....plus there’s way to many tourneys each weekend ...if there was only one or two tourneys on the given weekend like it use to be teams would be forced to travel and play in that toureny .....I remember the days when on this weekend it was Nsa weekend one tourney the next weekend one tourney Isa they all didn’t compete against each other now days on a weekednd you have 12 tourneys in Tampa , 6 in Orlando , 3 in fort Myers , 800 in Miami and many more in other places between
La Familia #4....B.Lowe

#3 USSSA Ralph

USSSA Ralph

HOF

• Paid Directors
  • 4,633 posts
  • Time Online: 185d 13h 19m 38s

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:21 PM

Bobby how many different teams have you've been bumped to C with? And how many times have you actually played C?

RCalderon_zpsgvku4avg.jpg

#4 Sims44

Sims44

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Time Online: 7d 11h 17m 15s

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

I don't think the fear of teams being bumped up plays a role in it because of what I feel is the biggest reason numbers are down and that is the number of sanctions in Florida. There is a tournament every weekend all over Florida but teams aren't going to play every weekend especially in SFL where TMT, Storm, and One Payment played last weekend in GSL States. You have 3 tournaments in SE Florida going on Sat. Utrip @ Mills Freedom @ Tropical, Durick Charity tourney in PSL, and ISPS in Ft Myers as well. As long as it stays like that the D division won't grow cause teams just run to another sanction and play down. It's out of control honestly with the # of sanctions ALONE in SFL. I a firm believer that if you as a director do your job, don't bs players/coaches/sponsors, and treat everyone fairly then as sanction you shouldn't have touble having tournaments go off regardless of cost vs prizes
Shawn Allen
ISPS UIC & Florida Women's Director (863)873-4552 cell
Gptexan4@gmail.com
2013 Floridasoftball.com Hall of Fame

#5 tylerh_32

tylerh_32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Time Online: 9h 52m 10s

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:58 PM

Same situation in Kentucky. NSA here. 2012 there were 8-10 Teams in Gold ©. 15-20 in silver (D) 15-20 in bronze (E). Now there is 1 C team, 7-10 D teams and 20-25 E teams. Softball is just dying all together. Freedom is trying to start in Kentucky now, I haven't seen a tournament over 10 teams yet. In two weeks, my family will hold the 47th annual woodbine rebel shootout here in Kentucky. Have had the max every year (36 Teams) and only sitting at 24 right now. I'm 29, don't see too many new faces younger than me starting to play. Give it another 5 years and see how bad it is. 4 towns within 15 minutes of my town. All use to have a league. Now there is no league in any of those towns.

I've been trying to play in Florida some now that I have a chance to travel on weekends but haven't had any luck yet. The team I was going to play with dropped out two weeks ago because of the tropical storm that was going to hit.

#6 conch town4

conch town4

Minor League

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • Time Online: 14d 4h 49m 25s

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:50 PM

Don’t know why your calling me out Ralph ....but I’ve been bump three times once with my team hit em hard and we played c in freedom cause that’s who bumped us and we got killed so he put us back in d .....once with good boys and they broke up and with two in the pink and they don’t play anymore either ...I wasn’t bitching about playing c I was just saying just cause you win a state or nit or winter worlds you shouldn’t be bumped cause that’s what ruins teams and makes them break up I was also stating that you should be aloud at least 2-3 years in that division unless you win worlds so you can try and accomplish your Ultimate goal ....I don’t know why that would make you call me out it was towards you or anyone else it’s was just in General
La Familia #4....B.Lowe

#7 germanpn

germanpn

Rookie

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 22h 11m 3s

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:40 PM

Bobby how many different teams have you've been bumped to C with? And how many times have you actually played C?

Why did you bump us for winning a states. Not a world a state. Im gonna keep going with it until you give me a straight answer not that stupid rule shit you put last time that had no auto bump for a state tournament.

#8 USSSA Ralph

USSSA Ralph

HOF

• Paid Directors
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 02:05 PM

Just like Freebandz and OP will be bumped next year. You go ahead and keep asking.

#9 germanpn

germanpn

Rookie

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 22h 11m 3s

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:41 PM

You and manny from isps are by far the worst directors ever. 2 guys who never played ball in their life. And 2 that are never around in a tournament when a rule or protest is happening. Softball in Florida will never be fixed with ppl like you running it. You also cater to your northern teams and has been proven plenty of times. Keep having your little power trips but remember there’s always someone higher than you that’s willing to help teams out. Keep making your own rules cuz you probably can’t make them at your own home. So from what i hear if a sponsor gives you money to reclass a player you will. So send me your info so i can get all my team reclassified i got $1 for each player. $12 will get you a long way at mcdonalds dollar menu your welcome.

#10 USSSA Ralph

USSSA Ralph

HOF

• Paid Directors
  • 4,633 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

If you feel Im making up rules feel free to go over my head and see how that works for ya.
Clay.Dickey@usssa.com
Andy.Purcell@usssa.com

#11 SSVIR

SSVIR

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 758 posts
  • Time Online: 19d 12m 6s

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:51 PM

You and manny from isps are by far the worst directors ever. 2 guys who never played ball in their life. And 2 that are never around in a tournament when a rule or protest is happening. Softball in Florida will never be fixed with ppl like you running it. You also cater to your northern teams and has been proven plenty of times. Keep having your little power trips but remember there’s always someone higher than you that’s willing to help teams out. Keep making your own rules cuz you probably can’t make them at your own home. So from what i hear if a sponsor gives you money to reclass a player you will. So send me your info so i can get all my team reclassified i got $1 for each player. $12 will get you a long way at mcdonalds dollar menu your welcome.

Winning an NIT results in a mandatory National Competition Committee bump.  Its not a Ralph rule.  It happened to us in 2015.  

#12 Hitting_That_Thang_SSRB

Hitting_That_Thang_SSRB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Time Online: 7h 7m 47s

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:36 PM

$OP$

#13 Sims44

Sims44

HOF

• Hall of Fame
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida
  • Time Online: 7d 11h 17m 15s

Posted 17 June 2018 - 09:48 PM

$OP$

Look who finally figured out their password to their other screen name...lol.
Shawn Allen
ISPS UIC & Florida Women's Director (863)873-4552 cell
Gptexan4@gmail.com
2013 Floridasoftball.com Hall of Fame

#14 Hitting_That_Thang_SSRB

Hitting_That_Thang_SSRB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Time Online: 7h 7m 47s

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

LOL Peabody is not me but I’d figure he’d come rustle some feathers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

{parse template="include_lightbox_real" group="global" params=""} {parse template="inlineLogin" group="global" params=""}